Let's Talk Makeup!11:00 AM
I was a Bare Minerals girl for years. YEARS. And before that, I wore Makeup Forever. Both of them were pretty reasonable, or so I thought, until I figured out that I was FLYING through the products and having to buy new foundation/powder just about every other month and it really started to add up.
And then I stumbled upon THE Bargain Blonde and her obsession with ELF makeup. Though she's a fellow Texan, I'll have to admit I doubted all this ELF talk for the longest time. Then there was this one day where I drew the line...I was not walking into Ulta to drop another $100 on makeup that doesn't even last a month. I walked my happy butt into Tarjay, picked out a few ELF products and was on my way. You know, foundation, powder, eyeliner and mascara. I was nervous about the colors so I only got a few things to start out with.
That was a couple months ago.
This is today:
Lez just say our friend The Bargain Blonde tells no lies.
Yep. Just about everything I use is an ELF product with the exception of the liquid foundation. It's only $6 and it covers well but my skin is very...and I mean VERY oily and even though it says "Oil Free", my face, with a combination of natural oils, Texas heat and Houston humidity looked like a damn slip and slide by 11am. Those of you with dry skin may be able to pull it off but I can't do it on a daily basis. I prefer the MAC Studio Fix liquid foundation. It covers so well and is able to withstand sweat and water. (Dream come true, right?!) I didn't return the ELF foundation because I figured I can use it when I'm just out and about with nowhere important to go or no one important to see.
Without further adieu...
My go-to top 10 ELF products:
1. Daily brush cleaner: SO important. Clean your brushes ladies! I was spending $13 on MAC's brush cleaner...this one is bigger, does the exact same thing and is only $6. (Online only)
2. High Def Powder: though I think this may cause my skin to break out from time to time, I love the glowing finish it gives to my makeup and it makes my face look as smooth as a baby's butt! I'm still not 100% sure if this is the culprit or if it's just a fluke but you also have to remember I have acne-prone skin that's SUPER sensitive so it shall remain a mystery. I'll try it out a few more times and if Planet Earth decides to take up real estate on my face, I'll be sure to let ya know... $6 (In stores and online)
3. Studio Pressed Powder: LOVE. That's all. Works fantastic. Covers great. Color is perfect. The only bad thing is that it's only sold online and is such a popular item that it gets backordered fairly often. At $3 a piece, I typically order 2-3 at a time... (Online only)
4. Golden Bronzer: Has a tiny bit of shimmer to it and gives my skin that sun kissed look we all love to have year-round. My skin has red undertones so to refrain from looking like Bozo the clown, I only use bronzer on my cheeks instead of blush. $3 (In stores and online)
5. Mineral Foundation: Bare Minerals girls...this is IDENTICAL to the BM foundation...identical. And only $3. I use it as a concealer on my eyelids and around my eyes before applying any eye makeup. On days where I want to wear lighter makeup, I use it all over my face for pretty decent coverage. (Online only)
6. Mascara: Call me a mascara whore but I have a problem with only using one at a time. Yes-I use 3 different tubes every single day. They all do such different things for my lashes so I can never commit to just one. Price range $1-$3. (In stores and online)
7. Eyeliner: I'm a little indifferent about this one. I can't quite figure it out. It stays on well but it's not as dark as I prefer my eyeliner to be and it dulls quickly resulting in sharpening it almost every day. The good thing about it is that it's only $1 and comes with a sharpener so when I originally bought it, I figured if I hate it, at least I get a new sharpener out of the deal. It's just okay...it's a like not love kinda thing so I just keep it in my desk at work and use it at work or as a backup if I run out of my go-to eyeliner. $1 (In stores and online)
8. Baked Blush: I know I said I don't typically use blush but I just got this one in yesterday. I ordered it because it's light and shimmery and can be used as a highlighter. I've tried the liquid highlighters and they make me look like a cheap stripper so I prefer the powders. I tried it out this morning for the first time and LOVED it! The best part...only $3. Oh ya! (Online only)
9. Baked Bronzer: Fantastic. Just got this one in yesterday too. I think it goes on the same as the golden bronzer but I wanted to try something new. Well worth my $3. (Online only)
10. Pressed Powder: I prefer the studio pressed powder but since they only sell it online and they sometimes run out of stock, I always keep this little cheapy in my makeup bag. I keep one in my desk drawer, too, so I can touch up my face throughout the day. Only $1. (In store and online)
Take it from me...sign up for their emails and order on the days where they offer free shipping. (Don't you know I refuse to pay full price for anything?!) Their shipping takes about 5-7 business days so make sure you order it in a timely manner. ;)
Happy shopping my little elfettes! ;)
Written by Stephanie from BEAUtiful mess.