15 Things No One Will Tell You About College8:30 AM
My really good friend, who is going to school on an athletic scholarship just left to start her summer classes and team training. As a freshman, you go in completely blind. I mean you know what people have told you and I’m sure you’ve seen tons of movies that take place in college, but that in no way is reality. People glorify college as the best four years of your life, and how much better it is in comparison to high school, but everyone tends to leave out a lot of crucial things you need to remember going into your freshman year. Don’t get me wrong, college is definitely A BLAST, but it’s also school, and sometimes school isn’t so fun.
15 things no one will tell you about college…
1. You may not like your roommate, you may not even be able to stand her, but all you need to do is learn how to live with her.
2. You need to know that no one cares who you were in high school. New place, new you, new reputation.
3. You need to know that you’re not going to be able to get by with sparknotes, you have to read the whole book (GASP!)
4. You need to know that even if you put 100% into a paper or studying for an exam, the professor might still give you a B (and it’s okay!)
5. You need to know that you might not get straight A’s.
6. There’s more to college than frat parties and tailgating.
7. It’s okay to change your major.
8. Your thoughts and beliefs are going to be challenged, and you might even start to question what you believe in (don’t freak out, it’s normal!)
9. You are going to loose touch with some of your high school friends (but I promise you’ll make tons of new ones!)
10. The first semester is the hardest (adjusting is hard, I promise it will get better).
11. It’s not uncool to participate in class discussions or ask questions (it actually just makes you look cooler!).
12. You might not be the top in your class any more (#newsflash).
13. Tutoring is for everyone, even the smart kids.
14. You will miss high school, occasionally, for 5 minutes, and then you’ll realize how much you love college.
15. You’re not the only one who’s scared (totally normal!)
While there’s a lot of change coming your way, there’s also a lot fun and adventure right around the corner! College is exciting and nerve-racking, but like all challenges, it will make you a better person! You are going to discover so much about yourself; some good, some bad. But, college is a fresh start, a new opportunity to expand your interests and meet some of the most important people in your life. Be determined in your efforts and open your mind to new ideas; a whole new world awaits and you now hold the key to your future!
What tips do you have to give rising freshman?!
Written by Shannon from Prep Avenue